Property Transfer & Tax Planning
To buy property in the UK you will need the services of a lawyer who will represent you when purchasing a property and liaise with the seller. The lawyer will conduct various checks such as searches (these are searches with local councils to ensure that there is nothing in the planning stages that could affect your property and its Value), work with the finance company to ensure the funds are available, and also register the property transfer with the UK Land Registry and obtain the title deed.
We understand the importance of clear and efficient legal advice for all clients, but this is particularly important for overseas entities looking to invest in UK property.
Birketts LLP – A Brief Introduction
Our skilled team of legal advisers have detailed knowledge of the processes involved in overseas investment in UK property, be that off-plan or completed units. Birketts’ team of dedicated Residential Property lawyers have adept knowledge of property law and specialise in high-end property acquisitions and sales. You can trust and have confidence in our ability to support you with key decisions, challenges, and opportunities.
As a firm, Birketts maintains an active understanding of changes in the law, and new legislation, such as the new register of overseas entities. Birketts is well equipped to provide advice and solutions to allow investors to make informed decisions. We maintain a strong service ethos based on close working relationships with our clients and their other professional advisers, providing advice in a commercial and pragmatic way, based on an understanding of your needs and objectives. Being a full-service law firm, we can provide complex tax, estate planning and specialist funding advice such as commercial loans for corporate entities, and Sharia Finance.
Alongside Magnate Assets, Birketts will facilitate a seamless transaction for overseas purchasers looking to invest in the UK property market.
“Birketts is very responsive and on top of their game in advising clients both proactively and reactively. Legal 500 [UK 2022]
Why instruct Birketts?
- Birketts ranks 58th in The Lawyer Top 200 and consistently ranks top in Legal 500 and Chambers directories.
- We provide a holistic conveyancing package for our clients which allows for a more seamless transaction. This includes making connections for them with surveyors, service providers for the translation of documents, and mortgage advisers.
- We deliver quality, not quantity - Birketts is renowned for its high-quality legal advice. Extended hours access, including evenings and weekends, is in place so that clients who are unavailable during office hours are still able to speak to their lawyer on any given day. Priority handling of matters is arranged for clients who have a tight transactional deadline and the full-service nature of our firm ensures that whatever crops up during the course of a transaction we are able to deal with it internally.
- We have in-depth knowledge of the complexities of buying a new build property, particularly off-plan, and regularly advise developers on the issues they are likely to encounter during this unique type of transaction.
- We adopt a sensitive approach to regulatory matters: this can be time-consuming and emotive, so we have invested in a technological solution with Thirdfort to improve the client experience and allow clients to complete these tasks quickly via their mobile devices if they choose.
- We are transparent and competitive on costs: a scope of work has been developed that allows team members to be transparent on pricing at the outset, giving clients the confidence to instruct us without any hidden costs.
- We are responsive and accessible - our team is approachable and proactive. Key client contact points are built into our workflows so that clients know they are always on our radar, even when a matter might take longer than expected.
- Client and introducer retention - clients and introducers return to Birketts as a result of their service experience. A very high proportion of our instructions come from returning clients and those who have been recommended to us; in the past year, 47% of our new matters were opened for returning clients. We are able to open new files on the day of instruction and deal with the usual client onboarding within 24 hours.